Friday, March 3, 2017

Prelude to March 6 Bible Study

Here begins our online Bible study. I would invite you to pick up your Bible or to open your Bible app in order to join in this study. I use the YouVersion Bible app. It gives you good versatility as well as a variety of translations.

As we do these Bible studies, I will be using the English Standard Version of the Bible. Why? I have several reasons. It is the version used widely in the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod. We use it for our readings each week in church. It is also the version in the Lutheran Study Bible, which is the standard Bible that I use. I also find that it has corrected some of the problems that developed in the later editions of the New International Version.

As a reminder: You are welcome to post your comments and/or questions. I will do my best to answer any questions that you have. Please try to keep them on the topic that we discussing at the time. If I find that your question is one that needs further study, it may well show up as the topic of another of our Bible studies.

I will not allow personal attacks. If you disagree with something I said, you may state that. If you disagree with a comment that someone makes, you may state that. But do not attack the person or say derogatory things about them or their comment. Also, please do not let your political thoughts come through in this Bible study. I do not want to hear if you agree or disagree with the current administration, if you think that a certain law should be overturned or anything in that vein. If I deem a comment inappropriate, I will remove it.

I don't want to come off sounding harsh, but I do want this to be an open forum/Bible study where people feel safe to make their comments or ask their questions. I will also be coming from the POV of the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod. I do not apologize for that nor will I change the doctrine of the church to fit a personal feeling or desire. I am a Lutheran pastor and will remain a Lutheran pastor.

OK. I think that covers the bases. I am working on the Bible study that will be posted on March 6. The topic is Living in the New Self, based on Colossians 3:1-17. I would encourage you spend a little time reading through this section in prayerful meditation.

See you Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment